Mississippi mud cake is amazing!
Marshmallows, homemade chocolate syrup, pecans and coconut all in one cake? What’s not to love?!
Honestly, I think this has become my new favorite chocolate cake.
I have made and love Mississippi mud pie, but this Mississippi mud cake was a first for me. But it will be made again very soon!
This cake was great with some White hot chocolate.
The chocolate cake in this recipe is homemade, however, box cake mix would work just as well and might save you a little time.
If you do choose to make the homemade cake, make sure you do not over mix as it will make the cake too dense.
It is best to simply fold in your ingredients.
Another thing to remember is that your melted butter should still be hot when you add it to your batter, this allows for a creamier cake.
This Mississippi mud cake was fun to make but it does take a few more steps and ingredients than a regular chocolate cake.
What ingredients are in Mississippi mud cake?
For the cake:
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
For Chocolate syrup:
- Chocolate bar
- Corn syrup
- Heavy cream
- Chopped pecans
Do I need to use coconut for Mississippi mud cake?
I know coconut is one of those foods that you either love or hate. I feel that it would be just as good without the coconut if you do not like it.
I used Sam’s choice 70% cocoa for the chocolate syrup but your favorite chocolate bar or maybe even chocolate chips will work.
Do not let your chocolate syrup cool before you pour onto cake.
How to make Mississippi mud cake:
- Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter eggs and vanilla
- Fold milk mixture into dry ingredients
- Bake cake for 30 minutes
- Top with marshmallows
- Return to oven
- In saucepan melt heavy cream, chocolate and corn syrup
- Pour chocolate syrup over marshmallows
- Top with pecans and coconut
Mississippi mud cake with chocolate cake, marshmallows, chocolate syrup, pecans and coconut, what’s not to love? #mississippimudcake
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
8 tablespoons or 1 stick of hot melted butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup chopped chocolate (regular or dark)
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease 13×9 in baking dish
- In large bowl whisk flour, sugar. cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well combined
- In smaller bowl whisk milk, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth
- Fold egg mixture into dry ingredients (do not over mix)
- Pour mixture into prepared dish
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from oven
- Place marshmallows on top of cake
- Return to oven for about 5 minutes or until marshmallows are fragrant
- Remove from oven
- In Medium saucepan combine heavy cream, corn syrup and chopped chocolate
- Heat over low heat until chocolate is melted
- Immediately pour over cake
- Top with chopped pecans and coconut
Keywords: mississippi mud cake, chocolate cake